Thursday, February 9, 2012

Easy Circle Painting

This is the type of painting that you don't have to have an ounce of artistic ability in your body to create. You can't mess this up!
I was inspired to make this painting my an episode of "Get It Sold" on HGTV a few years ago. I LOVE Sabrina Soto, I think she has a million ideas for beautiful, easy, and cheap art! This painting is actually 4 canvases hung together. It is currently hanging in my dining room.

For this painting I used the following:
   4 - 8x10 canvases (I bought 2 packages of 2 at Hobby Lobby when they had a sale)
   Leftover paints (any kind will do: I used wall paint in several different finishes, fabric paint, acrylic paint, and door and trim paint)
   Several circular objects (such as lids and cups)

I started by painting all 4 canvases one color for the background. I chose a peachy, fleshtone color that is actually the color of my living room walls. While I was waiting for the background to dry I went around the house (kitchen mainly) and found anything I could find to make circles with. I used the lid to a body spray, a spray paint lid, a solo cup, a paper snowcone cone, and a plastic drinking cup from the cabinet. You could use anything circle shaped as long as it is washable or you don't mind ruining it.
After the background color dried I pushed all 4 canvases together in a square formation with no gap (you could do any formation you'd like. Sabrina hung 3 canvases in a row). Next I decided which colors I wanted to be large circles and which colors I wanted to be accents. I found that using darker colors (blue, maroon, green) as the bigger circles, and lighter colors (white, grey, light blue) looked best to me. Then I dipped each circle object in a color (I used one circle size for one color, I didn't mix) and randomly placed circles on the canvases. For the paints that were in small containers (a couple of my paints were fabric paints) I poured a little bit on a paper plate to dip my circles in. I wanted the paintings to look like one canvas cut into four, so I did a couple circles over two canvases.

Lastly, I signed my name (looking back I wish I would have used a smaller paintbrush).

I think the hardest part of making this painting was hanging it. It's not easy to get the spacing even between all the paintings!

All together I think this project took less than an hour, including drying time.
I get compliments on it nearly every time I have someone new over to the house. Very easy and looks great!

 Here's a slightly closer picture of the finished product

No comments:

Post a Comment