Sunday, February 12, 2012

No Knit Scarf

I made this scarf based on the scarf found on Martha Stewart Craft. You just gotta love Martha... or her people that come up with all the stuff that gets her name put on it. Let me make one thing clear before I get into how I made this scarf: I have never knitted, crocheted, or anything involving yarn (other than maybe those little kits they sell for kids to "knit"). This scarf requires nothing but making lots and lots of knots, and a lot of patience (otherwise you'll end up all tangled)!

Materials:
Yarn
Patience

On Martha's site they used a much thicker "bulky-weight" yarn, which I honestly like the look of better, but when I went to Joann's to look for yarn I fell in love with a very soft, light-weight yarn. I live in Texas, so there really aren't very many days that you could use a super heavy weight scarf anyway, so the lighter yarn works out in my case. The yarn is actually a really pretty blue, but you wouldn't know it by my picture.

I started by cutting 16 pieces of yarn about 5 feet long each. The yarn that I bought has stretch to it, so I ended up with some pieces longer than others and had to cut them down to match. I couldn't really tell you how long they ended up being by the time I evened them up. After seeing how the scarf came out when I was finished I wish I would have made it much longer (probably 2 or 3 feet longer) to begin with.

I gathered the pieces into groups of 4 and tied a little knot at the end of each group to keep them together. From there I followed Martha's tutorial until I got to the end. I tied knots at the end of each group again so it would match the knots I made in the beginning.

This project was a lot more difficult than I anticipated based on the tutorial. The thing that made it so difficult for me was the fact that the yarn is really long and I had to move it and manipulate it without getting it all tangled. Part of my problem was I did this project while sitting on the couch watching TV, so I didn't have a lot of room to spread out my groups. If you did your knotting in a long hallway or somewhere that allowed you to spread out the groups after each knot, you would probably have an easier time than I did.

Overall, I do like the scarf I made. I still have LOTS of yarn leftover and while I'm sure I will find other yarn projects, I do want to try this project again with the same yarn, only make it much longer. I'll let you know if/when I ever get around to that.


No comments:

Post a Comment