Thursday, February 9, 2012

Scrapbook Paper and Foam Board Wall Decor


This project was another that was inspired by Sabrina Soto on "Get It Sold" on HGTV. In her example, rather than make the project square with two layers in the middle, she did it as a random collage that was the length of a couch. It was a cute project the way she did it, but I don't have a wall behind a couch for such a wide project, so I adapted it for the space I had.

The materials I used for this project:

   a foam core poster board (found at Walmart or Hobby Lobby next to the regular poster board)
   coordinating pages of scrapbook material
   spray adhesive
   an exact-o knife
   tape
   picture hanger

I started by deciding what shape I wanted the project to end up as. To be honest, the shape I ended up with is not what I originally set out to do, but I really like it. My thought was to measure the foam core board and make the most same sized squares possible. It ended up I was able to make 6 squares (I believe they are 8x8). I cut the foam core board with the exact-o knife into the 6 squares.

Next I cut the scrapbook pages down to fit the 8x8 foam core board squares and used the spray adhesive to stick them together. The next step is what took me the longest, because I hadn't decided what shape I wanted the finished project to be, so I played with the squares for a long time making lots of different collages until I decided on what you see in the picture. It turns out I could have left the 4 squares of the back layer as one big square, but I didn't know what the end was going to look like until I got to this point.


Now, I'm sure there is a much classier way of sticking the pieces of foam core together, but I used packing tape on the back, haha! I rolled the packing tape into a circle to adhere the middle squares to the back layer.

Lastly, I put some more packing tape on the back of the project in the middle. This is where I put the picture hanger (the little jagged metal piece you normally use to push into a wooden picture frame to hang).

Total cost for this project would be around $6 or so. I probably could have found the foam core board cheaper, but I just grabbed some from Hobby Lobby. Same with the scrapbook pages.

I'm not sure this project will travel well if we ever move, but for now, I really like it! I keep thinking that maybe I'll modge podge it to try and make it last a little longer, but so far it hasn't happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment