Thursday, February 9, 2012

Sockman - Christmas Decoration

 I like to call this little guy a SockMan. It was the first project I ever did off of Pinterest (you can find the tutorial I used here at Then She Made... - but I changed a few things to make it my own). Obviously, it's a Christmas decoration, but it was so easy and fun. This little guy lived on our mantle for the entire Christmas season this year and you better believe he'll be back next year!

For this project you will need the following:
A crew or knee high white sock (you only need the tall part, so if there are holes in the toes it doesn't matter)
A colored sock of any style
rice
2 rubber bands
a toothpick (I colored mine with an orange marker)
2 buttons
2 sequins
straight pins with balls in the color of your choice for the mouth and eyes


I followed the instructions on Then She Made...'s blog until I got to the fine details.

Here is my Sockman pre-embellishments. Isn't he cute!

I chose to paint the toothpick I used for the nose orange (I just used a scrapbooking marker to paint it)
I used a couple of buttons from my husband's button down shirts (you know the little buttons they sew on the inside of the shirt in case you lose a collar button)
I found two medium sized sequins and two white tipped straight pins for the eyes (I actually had to ask my friend's on facebook for advice on what to use for eyes, and I'm glad I did!)
And lastly I used blue straight pins for the mouth

On Then She Made...'s example, she really girlied up her sockmen (or sockwomen) which are very cute, but I wanted something a little less girly. I'm very happy with how he came out. I saved the left over pieces of blue sock (it was a knee high stocking) and the sock that I didn't cut up, so I might make my Sockman a little Sockwoman next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment